[OSM-talk] Zero tolerance on imports

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Feb 21 18:35:17 GMT 2011

I believe imports can be great, but of course can be dangerous. Better
tools are needed, and maybe someday I'll have the skills and know-how
to help with them.

There's one thing that hasn't explicitly been mentioned. Some say we
don't want to import because it will demotivate people to start
contributing in that area. I can understand that, however, if we
_KNOW_ the data is good, and we're careful to maintain the
contributions already in existence, I'd much rather import the entire
road network for an area, and have interested contributors not just
FIX the data, but actually improve OSM by adding additional tags, map
nearby paths, add intersections, etc.

It is a terrible waste of human effort to reproduce verified
high-quality data that is available and properly licensed. Their time
is much better spent adding value to the map by improving the tags,
adding unmapped paths, etc. The big problem with imports now is the
lack of good tools, though I'm not complaining because I know they
take a lot of effort to design and create.

Regards,
-Josh