[OSM-talk] XAPI and using a home server

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Tue Feb 22 20:27:29 GMT 2011

>  Well, there could perhaps be another solution, like running your own
>  XAPI server - the minutely diffs are usually less than 100Kb, so the
>  required bandwidth to download from planet.openstreetmap.org would be
>  less than 2 Kb/second in average.
>
>  But the question is - how large would be the planet database on disk
>  (how large would it get once you import the planet dump)

Triggered by your request, I've made a deployable version of OSM3S. It needs
only modest hardware requirements (1 GB RAM and 40 GB hard disk space for the
entire world). See

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM3S/install

It has a different syntax than XAPI and partly different capabilities, but if
you work with map data and don't need metadata about users, you likely can use
it.

Cheers,

Roland