[OSM-talk] XAPI and using a home server

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 21:00:30 GMT 2011

Roland,
Thanks for this - I had never heard of OSM3S.   I'll have a look at it.
It sounds as though the database handling is part of the OSM3S code, rather
than using an external database engine?
If the hardware requirements are as modest as you say I can imagine using
this as a replacement for  calling xapi to download town sized areas of OSM
data for rendering.

Regards

Graham.

On 22 February 2011 20:27, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbricht at gmx.de> wrote:

> >  Well, there could perhaps be another solution, like running your own
> >  XAPI server - the minutely diffs are usually less than 100Kb, so the
> >  required bandwidth to download from planet.openstreetmap.org would be
> >  less than 2 Kb/second in average.
> >
> >  But the question is - how large would be the planet database on disk
> >  (how large would it get once you import the planet dump)
>
> Triggered by your request, I've made a deployable version of OSM3S. It
> needs
> only modest hardware requirements (1 GB RAM and 40 GB hard disk space for
> the
> entire world). See
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM3S/install
>
> It has a different syntax than XAPI and partly different capabilities, but
> if
> you work with map data and don't need metadata about users, you likely can
> use
> it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roland