[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.com
Mon Feb 28 12:01:50 GMT 2011

Le 28/02/2011 11:33, Jean-Marc Liotier a écrit :
> Jean-Guilhem Cailton wrote:
>> It would not solve the problem for all tools, of course. For example,
>> MapOSMatic of Tripoli apparently uses the name field. So my
>> recommendation, given the feedback received so far, would still be to
>> use Latin + Arabic in the name field.
>
> Do that if it is the most expedient way to satisfy the requirements of
> users... But isn't it recommended to also use the tags that will let
> people generate maps in a specific language ?

Of course, that goes without saying. (But thanks for reminding it).

> By the way, for latin script names, should we use int_name, name:en or
> both ?

name:en has the advantage of specifying the language, and can thus also
be used by language specific renderings (or not used, depending on their
policy).

I would also use int_name only if it differs from name:en (can't think
of an example right now), or if what is meant is really "Internationally
known as".

Of course, if they are different and if your question is about the Latin
part in name tag, I guess int_name should have precedence, in the
framework of international humanitarian intervention.

What do you think?

Steve, (about Ṭarābulus) that's an idea, though it does not fit the wiki
definition. At least, that's a way of storing it. A name:xyz where xyz
would mean romanized Arabic would be better, in principle. (But there
does not seem to be a recognized code for it).
Is int_name used by any renderer?

Jean-Guilhem

pgp 0x5939EAE2