[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 15:30:15 GMT 2011

2011/2/28 Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org>:
> Steve Doerr wrote:
>> In my opinion, the int_name can usefully be used for the direct
>> romanization of the Arabic name, as it now (as of yesterday) is for Tripoli,
>> i.e. Tarābulus (previously, it said 'Tripoli').
> Anyway, this looks like the beginning of a consensus. If that holds,
> I'll edit the wiki to mention "romanized version of the local name" as the
> definition of the int_name tag.

Generally breaking all applications in use by redefining the meaning
of a tag is not a sustainable approach. If you want to introduce a
"romanized version of the local name" why don't you simply introduce a
new tag for it? Have a look at current int_name-values to see that
"romanized version of the local name" is not the predominant current
use.

cheers,
Martin