[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Feb 28 21:23:30 GMT 2011

Stephan Knauss wrote:
> Is there a way to do the transliteration automatically in a
> consistent way ? According to wikipedia there exist multiple ways
> to do so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_transliteration

For each of the transliteration standards, an automated method is
probably possible... But Wikipedia cites sixteen different standards,
some of them with different focuses, such as phonetic expressiveness,
spelling, simplicity, lack of diacritics or teaching. I have not read
about any of those methods being more authoritative, so I guess that we
have to rely on user input for each named object. On top of all that,
Arabic has local variations, sometimes strong and always co-existing
with literary Arabic... So I guess that there won't be a substitute to
user wisdom.