[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Mon Feb 28 20:25:27 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 28.02.2011 17:00, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
> We might end-up having to keep int_name for the internationally used
> name, even if it is a somewhat fuzzy definition - and then add a
> name:romanized or romanized_name tag for the romanized transliteration
> of the local name.

I can't understand Arabian. I'm no expert. Is there a way to do the
transliteration automatically in a consistent way?
Acconding to wikipedia there exist multiple ways to do so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_transliteration

If it is possible in a consistent way then there is no need to store
this in the database. A map wanting to display it can easily calculate
the romanized form.

Stephan