[OSM-talk] New user mistakenly nuking things

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Sun Jan 9 11:18:28 GMT 2011

> Unfortunately he accidentally nuked a bunch of nodes in one area. He
> tried to re-add them but he didn't get them all. He has also added
> some things and then re-deleted them. I am in contact with him trying
> to figure things out but for those who have experience reverting
> things: How hard would it be to revert all his changesets and "reset"
> the map to the way it was a few days ago? I'm not actually asking for
> a revert (yet) because I'm still discussing it with him but I wanted
> some input from someone with reverting experience. I wasn't sure how
> it would turn out with multiple add/delete cycles going on.

   Wow - I think he would be a good sample case for those conducting UI
studies in how to improve the operation so that he is not tempted to do the
wrong thing.

   It look like the changesets are relatively small, and a revert of all
changesets might be easier - particularly after all the named object
deletions.   Otherwise something will be forgotten.   I hope that your
tutorial sessions are successful.

   I wonder how frequently something like this happens in some unmonitored
area in the US.