[OSM-talk] highway=unsurfaced

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Jan 9 18:01:11 GMT 2011

Gorm E. Johnsen wrote:
> They seem to be evenly spread over the planet and was
> depreciated<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Deprecated_features>
> almost three years ago.

"Depreciated" means "reduced in value". You mean "deprecated", but you can
only deprecate a feature from the wiki docs, not from the database.

> I would like to replace them with something better. I was thinking
> highway=road + surface=unpaved.

No. highway=unsurfaced could be what's now commonly tagged as highway=track,
or highway=unclassified, or highway=bridleway. Only one of those three is a
road.

You should create a rendering which highlights highway=unsurfaced, so that
people will find them and modernise the tagging _appropriately_ for that
specific case.

cheers
Richard