[OSM-talk] address parsing by nominatim

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:53:43 GMT 2011

2011/1/10 Vikas Yadav <vikas at thevikas.com>:
> On 10 January 2011 00:45, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/1/9 ヴィカス ヤダヴァ (vikas yadav) <mevikas at gmail.com>:
>> > I surveying from Northern India. I studied how addresses are to be
>> > tagged in
>> > order so nominatim can locate it. That went great. The problem is the
>> > every
>> > house has to be tied to a street (addr:street).
>> > 2) We so many times have blocks or sectors (tagged as locality or
>> > hamlet)
>> locality should be used for uninhabited places
>
> locality is the way i could properly render blocks and sectors right now in
> OSM india. please suggest if there is a better/proper way achieving the same
> render result.

This is what we call "tagging for the renderers" = abusing a tag in a
way it is not describing what it is defined for, just because this
renders a nice picture. If you need another place-tag, that is not
documented here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Place

(e.g. place=block / sector or whatever), you "invent" it. You can use
all tags you like, but it is recommended for features of which you
think that they are valuable for other users as well, to document them
in the wiki (and maybe send a note to the mailing lists). Usually you
would make a "proposal".

cheers,
Martin