[OSM-talk] Contributing GIS Data to OSM

IT Intern itintern12 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:19:08 GMT 2011

Thank you for your response Serge!  This is a very good outline and you are
very kind to have given me this kind of walk through.  I have read through
the docs about each part you outlined for me and have some more questions..

"If you've signed up recently, you've accepted the new Contributor Terms"
So I believe this means that I should work under OSM's future license
policy, even though they have not yet made the crossover?  Or do I work
under the current terms for now and then change everything later?  Sorry for
asking what may seem like dumb questions, but I want to be really sure about
this :)

"If you understand OSM, then you know how we use tags to classify features."
My data is in a GIS database.  I looked at the tagging section of the docs.
The way I understood it is that I have to change my database to reflect the
tags?  I'm not really sure since I have a lot of columns with entries such
as place_name, lon, lat, geom, etc.  Another question about this is that I
am working in the U.S., but I would be importing data for a region in an
another country.  Do I follow the tagging system of the U.S. or do I follow
that of the country I am importing for?  What if that country has different
tagging systems for different regions and none listed for the region of my
interest?

As for importing data, I saw it mentioned somewhere that there is a test
database for OSM that I can work with to ensure my actual import goes
right.  Is this so?  Other than that is there a place I can show my .osm
files for moderation and checked by an OSM team or professionals alike that
will ensure me that my pending import data will benefit OSM?  Also I saw
that you said that mass data imports are not favored.  What constitutes as a
"mass import" as opposed a more normal/manageable one?

As for the XML/.osm format, isn't there a tool from the FWTools suite,
something like ogr2osm that will correctly convert my GIS to .osm?  I am
guessing that even with such a tool, that I might have to edit/clean-up the
.osm files a bit, but I assume there has to be many tools out there to do
the bulk of the conversion...

I truly appreciate all your kind help and assistance with this.  I don't
know what I would do if it wasn't for you guys :)

Thanks,

elshae