[OSM-talk] Adding image to map features

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 29 16:16:20 GMT 2011

Am 29.01.2011 16:26, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> Here I'm with you. If those Images were stored centrally and hosted by
> OSM or the wikimedia foundation I see a much better chance of not
> having a big image-link-cemetery in the database.

That "cemetery problem" is just caused by the current almost none
existing usage of the tag. If people find the idea useful, add tags and
someone comes up with a cool app that uses it, the dead link / old tag
problem will vanish away pretty shortly ...

Making the use of a "central OSM image repository" (or using Commons)
mandatory would reduce the amount of photos entered and therefore reduce
the usefullness.

Of course, telling people that an easy option for them is to add photos
under a free license to Commons and link from OSM to there wouldn't hurt :-)

Regards, ULFL