[OSM-talk] Fwd: Re: Street Addresses

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat Jan 29 18:41:43 GMT 2011

Hi John,

You can get New York tax parcel maps inexpensively ($300 per Borough)
and information needed to link it to addresses for free (I don't know if
the licensing is consistent with OSM). My guess is www.ridethecity.com
has licensed the parcel data and has created address points from it. The
city may approve the creation of an address point layer based on this
information that would work with OSM, but then again, maybe not. Here is
the relevant link to the data:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/applbyte.shtml

Lots of the municipalities in the GVRD have released their parcel maps,
some which may include addresses, but not others. As part of its
"Property Information Package" the City of Vancouver provides address
data (with duplicate addresses removed) that appear to be assessor
parcel centroids. I don't know what the thinking is about the
consistency of the City of Vancouver's licensing with OSM, but it may
well be consistent. The link to this data is:
http://data.vancouver.ca/datacatalogue/index.htm

The general issue in terms of importing address points is that the data
generally comes from local governments (generally cities in Canada and
counties in the US), and local governments differ widely in their data
availability, data field formats, licensing, and basic availability.

Dan