[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

charlie at cferrero.net charlie at cferrero.net
Mon Jan 31 07:40:05 GMT 2011

Daniel Sabo (danielsabo at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Daniel Sabo <danielsabo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Right now Potlatch doesn't even render landuse multipolygons
>>> though, so there's not much incentive for people to click a button
>>> like that :).
>>>
>>> I do appreciate that my pro-multipolygon perspective comes from
>>> working primarily with JOSM where they've gotten very easy to use,
>>> Potlatch users probably are as annoyed by working with my
>>> multipolygons as much as I am by their collinear ways.
>>
>> I'd like to have a better understanding of support for multipolygons
>> across different renderers and editors. For example, does mapnik
>> support mp's on *all* tags, or is it case-by-case?
>
> Mapnik renders multipolygons exactly the same way as it renders
> simple polygons, so all tags will work.
>
> JOSM renders any area tags on multipolygons.
> Potlatch 1 doesn't render areas on multipolygons, but it does
> highlight a way in blue when it's a member of a multipolygon.
> Potlatch 2 doesn't give have any visual cues that I've seen for
> multipolygons.

Actually, in my experience of PL2 if you move the cursor over a
multipolygon then all the associated inner and outer ways are
highlighted.

Going back to the OP, my understanding was that multipolygons should
be used in preference to overlapping ways for the reasons given in
this thread.

I've noticed, however, that Osmarender doesn't render islands which
are multipolygons (but Mapnik does).

--
Charlie