[OSM-talk] New tool in Potlatch 2 for areas that share a way

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 03:41:43 GMT 2011

On Jan 30, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Daniel Sabo <danielsabo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right now Potlatch doesn't even render landuse multipolygons though, so there's not much incentive for people to click a button like that :).
>>
>> I do appreciate that my pro-multipolygon perspective comes from working primarily with JOSM where they've gotten very easy to use, Potlatch users probably are as annoyed by working with my multipolygons as much as I am by their collinear ways.
>
> I'd like to have a better understanding of support for multipolygons
> across different renderers and editors. For example, does mapnik
> support mp's on *all* tags, or is it case-by-case?

Mapnik renders multipolygons exactly the same way as it renders simple polygons, so all tags will work.

JOSM renders any area tags on multipolygons.
Potlatch 1 doesn't render areas on multipolygons, but it does highlight a way in blue when it's a member of a multipolygon.
Potlatch 2 doesn't give have any visual cues that I've seen for multipolygons.

> I think I agree with your earlier point that mp's are better than
> colinear ways, but colinear ways are still better than parallel ways
> for areas that do actually touch.

Absolutely, it at least makes it something we can fix by clicking a button someday :).