[OSM-talk] adding multiple relations (bus routes) to one road

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Jul 7 12:02:30 BST 2011

On 06/07/2011 03:54, Robin Paulson wrote:
> hi,
> I'm currently adding a lot of bus routes to roads in central Auckland.
> problem is, it's getting hard to manage.
>
> some road segments have 40+ routes on them, which gets complicated.
> here is an example of one which I've added 12 routes to; there will be
> lots more
>
> http://www.openbusmap.org/?zoom=17&lat=-36.86508&lon=174.74462&layers=BT
>
> are there any suggestions for making it easier?

You don't actually say what the problem is.

If you mean cutting the ways into small segments then a possible answer
could be to add a separate way over the top of the roads that is just
tagged with the route relation. I've done this in areas where bicycle
routes cross pedestrian areas. I'm not sure if this is a perfect
solution & I'd welcome comments.

if you mean the number of labels that OBM displays, then that's more a
problem for the renderer. I'm not sure every segments has to display the
route number.

Incidentally, does route 205 terminate at the end of Bond Street?

Cheers
Dave F.