[OSM-talk] adding multiple relations (bus routes) to one road

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:52:35 BST 2011

On 7 July 2011 23:02, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> You don't actually say what the problem is.

err, what? the problem is managing the ways inside the editor
(potlatch 2). it gets very messy and is hard to keep track of. i find
at later dates i have made several mistakes that need correcting

> If you mean cutting the ways into small segments then a possible answer
> could be to add a separate way over the top of the roads that is just tagged
> with the route relation. I've done this in areas where bicycle routes cross
> pedestrian areas. I'm not sure if this is a perfect solution & I'd welcome
> comments.

that sounds very clumsy. if the routes (bus and other traffic) share
the way, drawing another way is (a) wrong (b) difficult to edit, and
(c) confusing

> if you mean the number of labels that OBM displays, then that's more a
> problem for the renderer. I'm not sure every segments has to display the
> route number.

no. i sent that link as it shows the complexity/number of relations
without hitting edit

> Incidentally, does route 205 terminate at the end of Bond Street?

well spotted. no, it turns east. i think that demonstrates my point
actually. i didn't realise i hadn't tagged great north road with that
route

--
robin

http://bumblepuppy.org/blog/?p=237 - government bill to remove basic