[OSM-talk] shortened names

John Harvey john at JohnHarveyPhoto.com
Fri Jul 8 04:49:09 BST 2011

I find there are a lot more abbreviations if you look at addr:street=
rather than the name= .  I suspect that with mobile entry of POI's we
are going to see more and more abbreviations being entered, just because
mobile keyboards are slow.  I would applaud a bot that asked me if I
meant the nearby "Main Street" when I entered "Main St.".  I would also
applaud a bot that converted loose addresses like this into better
structured relations like:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Using_relations_to_associate_house_and_street_.28optional.29

John