[OSM-talk] shortened names

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Fri Jul 8 19:05:47 BST 2011

Am 08.07.2011 05:49, schrieb John Harvey:
> I find there are a lot more abbreviations if you look at addr:street=
> rather than the name= .  I suspect that with mobile entry of POI's we
> are going to see more and more abbreviations being entered, just because
> mobile keyboards are slow.  I would applaud a bot that asked me if I
> meant the nearby "Main Street" when I entered "Main St.".  I would also
> applaud a bot that converted loose addresses like this into better
> structured relations like:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Using_relations_to_associate_house_and_street_.28optional.29

I use associatedStreet relations for some time now but we might need to
adjust it a bit:

  1. More than one way with role=street should be allowed.
Otherwise you end up with lots of relations and I do not know any editor
which supports this relation when splitting ways.
  2. the role=house should also work with closed ways and relations.
For closed ways it is obviours since buildings are mapped as areas.
I found many places where an area with several buildings has one
address, sometimes theses areas are site or multipolygon relations.

I found some streets with more than one postcode. For these streets I
used one relation for each postcode and added the postcode in the
relation's name + addr:street=[Streetname]

I grouped them in a main relation which might be not needed.

>> i was under the impression consensus was to type the full word, then
>> renderers would shorten where necessary? apparently some mappers
>> disagree though

+1

cu colliar