[OSM-talk] Commenting and thumbs up/down feature for changesets

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jul 13 17:44:11 BST 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 22:42, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I just stumbled across a changeset where someone helpfully added a
>> "toilet:access=customers" to 1350 pubs in the Greeater London area (thereby
>> adding no information but freshening the time stamp of the objects, giving
>> the cursory visitor the impression that the pub might actually have been
>> resurveyed which it very likely hasn't).
>
> I don't think that this case is a good example to support your argument.
>
> This is a perfectly acceptable addition which does add information - that
> it's not a public toilet. You can't just walk in of the street to spend a
> penny.
>
> Why is it a problem getting time-stamped? If it doesn't, how would anybody
> know it's been edited & able to verify it?

I was wondering the same thing when I first read this.  I think maybe
what Frederik means is that someone added the tag to *all* pubs in the
Greater London area, and that Frederik believes that this was done
indiscriminately, without checking if there actually was toilet access
which was only available to customers.

If that's the case, yeah, I guess that's bad tagging.  Not because it
adds no information, but because it potentially adds incorrect
information (some of those toilets might be open to non-customers).

And I think the fact that you (and, originally, I) have no idea what's
wrong with that tagging is a good argument why the ability to add a
"-1" to a changeset is useless at best and harmful at worst.

All that said, if Frederik wants to write the code to do it, if it
doesn't take up much resources on the servers, and if it's kept in a
relatively non-obnoxious place on the website, I don't see the harm.