[OSM-talk] XAPI compability layer

Ian ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 03:53:26 BST 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:27:25 PM UTC-5, Roland Olbricht wrote:

> Overpass API has now a XAPI compability layer. It can answer the more
> common
> XAPI queries, details are explained on the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API#XAPI_Compability_Layer
>
> Example queries are
> http://www.overpass-api.de/api/xapi?map?bbox=7.1,51.2,7.2,51.3
> or
>
> http://www.overpass-api.de/api/xapi?*[bbox=7.1,51.2,7.2,51.3][name=Weststraße]
>
> Feel free to produce rather a lot of load. Although this is still a
> development server, I need a realistic load test. The server should have a
> primitive yet working protection against overload, so you cannot harm
> anybody.

It looks like you're missing the "expand ways" step. For example, a query
like this:

http://www.overpass-api.de/api/xapi?*[amenity=pub][bbox=-93.66943,44.65302,-92.65869,45.25942]

Only returns the ways or nodes tagged amenity=pub and inside that bounding
box.

In order to use the OSM file it also needs to include the nodes referenced
by the ways.

Perhaps it's not meant to do that (the XML root isn't <osm>) but it would be
useful to have to make it closer to XAPI.