[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap 7th Birthday Party

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Fri Jul 22 11:37:44 BST 2011

Parveen Arora wrote:
> Why birthdays of OSM are not being celebrated on same day,
> Can't we
> declare one particular day as OSM's Birthday?

Kenneth replied:

> that will create a huge thread of hundreds of messages debating
> this
> mission critical point.

Well let mine be the next :)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/History
suggests either 9th August (anniversary of domain name being
registered) or 20th August (Steve's presentation at EuroFOO) are
worthy candidates.

As presumably though the idea predated registering the domain name,
I'd argue that the 9th August would be the obvious choice of
something to base anniversaries on.

Ed