[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap 7th Birthday Party

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Jul 22 12:48:23 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:
> Parveen Arora wrote:
>> Why birthdays of OSM are not being celebrated on same day,
>> Can't we
>> declare one particular day as OSM's Birthday?
>
> Kenneth replied:
>
>> that will create a huge thread of hundreds of messages debating
>> this
>> mission critical point.
>
> Well let mine be the next :)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/History
> suggests either 9th August (anniversary of domain name being
> registered) or 20th August (Steve's presentation at EuroFOO) are
> worthy candidates.
>
> As presumably though the idea predated registering the domain name,
> I'd argue that the 9th August would be the obvious choice of
> something to base anniversaries on.

Fair enough.  I suggest that we plan ahead for an "official" Birthday
week around Thursday, 09 August *2012*, and go with 20 August this
year to allow more planning time.  I made a wiki page for this
yesterday because I am impatient and love to throw parties. ;-)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_7th_Anniversary_Birthday_party

Toronto is already on the list.  Feel free to a) join us here, or b)
throw your own local OSM Birthday bash.