[OSM-talk] shortened names

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jul 27 11:01:41 BST 2011

andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> I'd say the opposite is true.  If it's pronounced "Saint Albans"
> then that is the name.

Pronunciation in English only ever serves to mislead. :)

Increasingly you can treat "St" as a valid spelling of the word "saint",
rather than merely an abbreviation. No (educated) native English speaker
would write a placename with 'Saint', and every native English speaker would
pronunce St in that context as 'saint'. That, to me, is a pretty conclusive
argument that we should tag "St".

(I'm only talking about the UK, of course, and in fact this discussion would
be better on talk-gb.)

cheers
Richard