[OSM-talk] shortened names

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Thu Jul 28 13:41:24 BST 2011

Brian wrote:

> Speaking as someone who has to use this data can I make a plea for
> unabbreviated names to always be used.

This should currently be the case, as is documented on the Key:name
wiki page.

I think the main issue now is whether St at the beginning of English
place names is an abbreviation for Saint, or actually part of the
place name as "St", and whether the same rule applies to street
names. And not just at the beginning, thinking about it. I don't
think I'd ever write "Bury Saint Edmunds" (mapped as Bury St.
Edmunds in OSM).

>From reading the discussion here I am inclined now to think St in
place names should be recorded as St, and am still undecided about
road names, though am personally inclined to go with the same rule
for both for consistency.

Ed