[OSM-talk] Id stability

Claus Stadler cstadler at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Jul 31 17:33:10 BST 2011

Hi,

Is anyone aware of
1) any analysis/research about the stability of OSM ids?
2) any tool(s) that attempts to figure out whether
     a) the meaning of an entity (node, way, relation) changed between
two versions (e.g. using the id of pub and marking it as a cafe).
     b) a new id is the same thing as a deleted one. (e.g. someone
deletes a batch of things, and later uploads mostly the same things again)

The thing is, that I am working on the LinkedGeoData[1] project, where
we attempt to bring the OpenStreetMap data into the Semantic Web
infrastructure, by publishing the data as RDF. Since we are interlinking
- based on the OSM IDs - with other knowledge bases out there
(GeoNames[2], DBpedia[3] and FAO[4] so far), it would be good to know
about what can be expected about when the links will break ;) And also
what tools there are to counter that.

Essentially I am asking the same question, as someone asked in a forum
post[5] at the beginning of this year. The answer was, that these things
do not exist yet. Has this changed in the meantime?

Cheers,
Claus

[1] http://linkedgeodata.org
[2] http://www.geonames.org/