[OSM-talk] Bing aerial imagery priorities

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Fri Jun 17 05:25:47 BST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 13:52 +1000, John Smith wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 13:19, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> > There are numerous programs that exist which show the density of mapping
> > in certain areas.  Maybe it would be useful to find the more heavily
> > mapped areas that dont have coverage?
>
> That's making assumptions that larger towns are mapped already,
> however when I go looking there is plenty of towns very poorly mapped
> that have no aerial imagery available.

Simply searching for place=city/town/village and even checking the
population tag on those nodes, its not too difficult.

> Major and semi-major transport corridors would be good as well.

+1

> > Personally, Id like to see the coverage extended along the east coast of
> > Australia, in many areas the coverage seems to cover huge regional areas
> > but then stops short of the townships.
>
> eg Lightning Ridge
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-29.4282&lon=147.9793&zoom=14&layers=M

Im also thinking Batemans Bay in NSW.  Murramarang and Monga National
Parks are almost completely covered by aerial imagery, but the coverage
stops about 3km away on each side of the town of Batemans Bay.

David