[OSM-talk] Flash cookies

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Jun 22 12:15:43 BST 2011

On 22/06/11 11:19, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> ce-test, "qualified" testing bv - Gert Gremmen wrote:
>> Since recently  was decided that in NL
>> cookies are subject to explicit permission of
>> the users, I'd think that Openstreetmap provides
>> information on what information and settings are
>> actually used by OSM.
> Ok then.
>
> OSM per se doesn't store anything in Flash cookies. Potlatch does. That's
> because, oddly enough, it's a Flash app and wants to remember your
> preferences (selected background and stylesheet, TIGER highlighting,
> function key settings) from one session to the next.

The European directive came into force in the UK (where the servers are
located) in May 2011. The bluster about this in the press has often
missed a vital point, that is that para 4 says cookies are exempt if
they are ‘strictly
necessary’ for a service requested by the user.

The situation is not clear, but it seems to me that is a suitable
exemption for Potlatch's cookies. If data-gathering cookies, such as
Analytics, were being used then an opt-in would certainly be required,
but exactly when and how this might be enforced is yet to be clarified.

There is a fuller explanation from the UK's Information Commissioner's
Office in a pdf here <http://bit.ly/kgurcZ>

Further discussion should probably go onto @legal-talk, IMHO.

--
Cheers, Chris