[OSM-talk] the map on osm.org - airstrips showing only at zoom 10

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:03:42 BST 2011

On 25 June 2011 20:47, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/6/25 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>> Wasn't there some discussion about that before, how important airports
>> such as LAX should show sooner than regional airports which should
>> show up sooner than grass airstrips.
>

> Yes, the discussions and proposals are endless for this. Suggestions
> are usually that you should deduct the importance by analyzing the map
> dat (e.g. surface of the runway, length of the runway) and combine OSM
> data with external sources (numbers of starts/landings a year, number
> of passengers a year, freight volumes, ...).

Seems pretty simple to me, importance is going to be partially
subjective, even if 2 airports have similar number of flights, some
will have 747s & 380s and some won't.

highway=* classifications seems at least partially subjective as well.

I see the need for at least 4 or 5 airport types, major international
airports, minor international airports, regional airports, tiny
airports and airstrips.