[OSM-talk] the map on osm.org - airstrips showing only at zoom 10

Alan Millar grunthos503 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 17:38:11 BST 2011

On Jun 25, 2011, at 4:03 AM, John Smith wrote:
> Seems pretty simple to me, importance is going to be partially
> subjective, even if 2 airports have similar number of flights, some
> will have 747s & 380s and some won't.
>
> highway=* classifications seems at least partially subjective as well.
>
> I see the need for at least 4 or 5 airport types, major international
> airports, minor international airports, regional airports, tiny
> airports and airstrips.

+1

As has been said a number of times, OSM is a "do-ocracy".  At this point, more discussions just aren't going to resolve it.

The highway=* classifications aren't perfect but are quite workable, and more details can always be added.  Same for airports.

Just pick something, like "importance=[1-5]" or "airport_class=[major|minor|regional|airstrip]" and tag them.  Such values can always be translated into another form later, and/or it just gains traction and becomes the standard.  No reason to wait further.

- Alan