[OSM-talk] mapping hypotheticals with OSM, e.g., for public charrettes?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Mar 7 16:15:52 GMT 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com> wrote:

> How best to use OSM to "map" non-existent features for planning
> purposes, e.g., for public charrettes? (Apologies if this is a FAQ, but
> a brief search of
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> and of the lists via
>
> http://www.google.com/custom?sa=Google+Search&domains=lists.openstreetmap.org&sitesearch=lists.openstreetmap.org
>
> found nothing I wanted, which may be due to poor search terms.) The NC
> GIS list was just queried for
>
>> a Mapping Program that will allow users to map out specific places,
>> routes, and areas for such things as Planning Charrettes, Surveys, or
>> any other method of getting citizen's input more interactively?
>
> Another lister immediately suggested OSM, as do I, but I'm unsure how
> best to do prospective or hypothetical mapping.

Hmmm.

First find the editing program that you want your public to use.  Then
segregate your OSM base map from your scratchpad area for your
planning.  Then publish your reference works as they are created and
discussed.

As Richard Fairhurst said, you won't contribute that fictional data to
OpenStreetMap.  You can create your own OSM stack and run it locally.
Or simply capture the .osm files locally.  You could capture
background images (responsibly please! no scraping.) then edit over
them with graphics tools or even pen and paper.

Publishing your works is simplest if you license your proposal maps
CC-By-SA as your OSM base maps will be CC-By-SA.  If not, include your
licensing details as well as "Base map image © OpenStreetMap and
Contributors CC-By-SA" with links for the OSM web site and CC-By-SA
license page.