[OSM-talk] mapping hypotheticals with OSM, e.g., for public charrettes?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Mar 8 17:58:05 GMT 2011

Tom Roche Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM
>>> The NC GIS list was just queried for

Richard Fairhurst Mon, 7 Mar 2011 08:04:10 -0800 (PST)
>> you should set up your own OSM install on your local server, and seed
>> it with the existing OSM data. You can then use the usual tools to
>> talk to this rather than to osm.org. There's lots of documentation

:-) Unfortunately, I'm at the level of OSM expertise such that I want
one document about this usecase (which might then point to others for
subtasks), and I'm not seeing that.

>> or you can ask on the dev at openstreetmap.org list.

I'll try that: one presumes folks need to know how to setup local
instances for testing, and that therefore someone has documented the
process.

Richard Weait Mon, 7 Mar 2011 11:15:52 -0500
> First find the editing program that you want your public to use.

Which would you suggest for one-off use by "the general public" at a
meeting? Ease of first use is obviously stressed over functionality.

> Then segregate your OSM base map from your scratchpad area for your
> planning.

Makes sense, but I dunno how to implement that. Where to go to learn?

> You can create your own OSM stack and run it locally.
> Or simply capture the .osm files locally.

I like the sound of the latter option, since I'd prefer not to hafta
setup a separate system. But again, I don't know enough about OSM to
implement that. Where would I go to learn?