[OSM-talk] New Logo in the Wiki

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun May 1 01:52:52 BST 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-30 at 20:30 -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:

> Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are correct. Have you
> ever tried to join a committee and been rebuffed?

For the past 2 years Ive been a secretary of a national non-profit
organisation in my country.  If we had made decisions and communicate
Noooooooo.
> d with the group in the way OSMF has done, I can only imagine the
outrage (it would be similar to the feelings of many here currently).
If I wrote minutes as sparsely and incomplete as the various committees
and groups write their minutes, I imagine the 2nd meeting it happened
at, Id be asked if I needed help and would basically not have been
allowed to get away with sloppy work again.

> I had gotten SO TIRED of people who complained that we weren't "open"
> enough or "transparent" enough. Had any of those people EVER come to
> us and asked if they could help us with anything?

What do you think would have happened if OSI decided to do something
like change their policies or their logo, with no discussion or
announcement until someone noticed and asked what happened?

> The future belongs to those who show up, not those who whinge about
> work that has been done.

Unfortunately, being involved in an OSMF (or SWG, LWG, DWG, etc) meeting
isnt as easy as 'just showing up'.  Infact, its not even really possible
to be invovled by reading the minutes or the meeting notes.  Those of us
who wish to be involved, join public discussions and forums.  Apparently
those who are actually in the positions of power are no longer
interested in public discussions and forums.  Exactly how was anyone to
have 'shown up' to discussions about a new logo, when the first that
99.9% of us became aware of the change was when someone asks HERE after
its already been decided and changed.

David