[OSM-talk] Stats for GPX traces: identifiable / trackable / public / private

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon May 2 12:51:56 BST 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> On 5/2/2011 6:05 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> I uploaded a couple pie charts based on this data to the wiki:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Gpx_trkpts_privacy.svg
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Gpx_files_privacy.svg
>>

>  SSSH!  Don't tell the Dutch police that they don't even need to buy their
> data from Tom Tom in the future...
>

> http://consumerist.com/2011/04/tomtom-sold-speeding-data-to-police-cops-used-it-to-bust-drivers.html

I was somewhat surprised to see that such a big chunk of the trackpoints can
be traced back to a user. I don't consider myself to be overly concerned
about my digital footprint, but even I upload my GPX traces as 'trackable'
and not 'identifiable'.

What is the default setting by the way?
--
Martijn van Exel