[OSM-talk] Geofabrik Download Server Update

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue May 3 12:35:43 BST 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>>
>> Richard:
>> You can consider using osmembrane[1] which is a GUI on top of osmosis. I
>> haven't tested it on Windows but I guess there's no reason it shouldn't
>> work. It makes working with osmosis a much gentler experience ;).
>> [1] http://osmembrane.de/
>
> I'm not sure if downloading a second package is really what I have in
> mind: just a simple howto which uses dos file paths rather than linux
> ones, and tells me which bits are programs (which need to be
> obtained), and which bits are commands to those programs.
>
> I'm sure it's not that difficult to puzzle out, but a few clues would
> make it easier.

This older tutorial includes using osmosis to extract a bounding box.
http://weait.com/content/make-your-first-map

In the example, the heavy lifting is done here.

./bin/osmosis --read-xml /home/username/planet-090311.osm.gz
--bounding-box left=-94 bottom=38 right=-71.5 top=50 --write-xml
/home/username/GreatLakes.osm.gz

simplifying that by removing paths leaves:

osmosis --read-xml planet-090311.osm.gz --bounding-box left=-94
bottom=38 right=-71.5 top=50 --write-xml GreatLakes.osm.gz

Which is one command with three arguments.

"osmosis" command. This is the only program.

"--read-xml" use an xml-file for input with filename planet-090311.osm.gz

"--bounding-box" take to portion of the data that is within the
bounding box in the four sub-arguments " left=-94 bottom=38
right=-71.5 top=50"

"--write-xml" ... and write it as an xml-file with filename  GreatLakes.osm.gz

With the filepaths removed from the filenames, I expect that your
operating system will only look for, or save, the files in the present
working directory.