[OSM-talk] #Occupy camps in OSM?

Alan McConchie alan.mcconchie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:15:44 GMT 2011

Hi everyone,

I mooted this question on the IRC, but I also wanted to ask it here, too. Should the temporary camps of the #OccupyWallStreet movement be mapped in OSM? Clearly these are temporary and rapidly changing structures, but some of the camps have remained relatively stable for several weeks now. OSM already includes things like Burning Man, which only lasts for one week.

Does anyone know of any #Occupy camps that have already been mapped? I checked NYC, London, San Francisco and Oakland and didn't see anything. Or, have any similar camps been mapped in OSM already, other than Burning Man?

I figure we could use many of the same features that Burning Man uses, primarily tourism:camp_site, plus keys like start_date and end_date (if applicable).

I also should say that I don't think it needs to be a political question whether or not OSM supports the #Occupy movement. Whether or not we agree with the protests, these are newsworthy places that many people would like to know about, not just the protestors.

Thanks,

Alan