[OSM-talk] #Occupy camps in OSM?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:15:08 GMT 2011

I would suggest it would be nice to do a mashup with OSM + occupy locations.
But then it is possibly helpful for the locations to be crowd sourced, so
you could add it into OSM with some tagging that would not disrupt current
renderers/programs.

Go with civil_disobedience=camp_site?
I don't know about the other details('bookshops', tents etc), I'd be less
inclined to add those in.

http://twitter.com/mappingmashups Was tweeting about mapping Occupy
Vancouver. But I *think* his aim was to map the detail in the areas they
are occupying.
http://twitter.com/#!/mappingmashups/status/133662563169869824

Gregory.

On 8 November 2011 14:02, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/11/8 Erik Johansson <emj at kth.se>
>
>> The concept you describe would be the other mantra "tagging for the
>> rendrer", for me at least. Or is my interpretation wrong?
>>

> No, it's the opposite.
>
> Tagging *for the renderer* would be to put "tourism=camp_site" although
> it has nothing to do with tourism. Just so it would show a nice icon on the
> map.
>
> Tagging what's *on the ground* would be to put "civil_disobedience=camp_site"
> or something like that although it wouldn't render on openstreetmap.org.

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com