[OSM-talk] #Occupy camps in OSM?

Alan McConchie alan.mcconchie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 01:44:52 GMT 2011

Hi Gregory,

That was me tweeting about Occupy Vancouver (the perils of having a twitter handle that's unrelated to my real name). I would like to map the internal structure of the camps in detail, although I am still uncertain if that much detail makes sense to include in OSM. But I figured that if people were going to do some mapping, there's no harm in using Walking Papers as their basemap, whether or not the maps get traced into OSM in the end. Here are a couple example maps someone else made that used Google Maps as the basemap, so they can't go into OSM no matter what we decide about tagging and appropriate levels of detail: http://yfrog.com/nvmzi5j http://yfrog.com/nx3vnnj

Regarding the tags, isn't civil_disobedience=camp_site extremely specific? I can't really think of any other forms of civil_disobedience that would be long-lasting enough to include in OSM (and even the #occupy camps are pushing the limits of appropriate longevity for OSM). Perhaps a more generic tag that would also work for the refugee camps, too?

Alan