[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap in schools

Sam Larsen samlarsen1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 09:59:04 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I recently made a visit to a school as part of the Royal Geographic Society (UK)
Geography Ambassadors scheme where i spoke to kids (15/16 yr olds) about
geography in the real world.  We then had an OSM editing session which was surprisingly
successful.  The kids were really interested in the concept of
'participation in real-world geography'.  I'm not trying to indoctrinate
youths into OSM, just showing them how easy it now is to participate in making
maps compared to when i was at school.  On the whole it was a very
positive experience with many valid edits made.

You can check out the session editing highlights and some lessons for newbie
editing in Potlatch2 here:
http://geoxchange.esriuk.com/journal/2011/11/17/the-next-geographers.html

Sam Larsen