[OSM-talk] There are new coastline shapefiles

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 2 10:22:57 BST 2011

On 2-10-2011 11:09, Michal Migurski wrote:

> The one from http://hypercube.telascience.org/~kleptog/ says April, 2010.

Once service from that site become spotty, generation of the coastline
shapefiles was moved locally, to the osm.org server.

> The one from http://tile.openstreetmap.org/processed_p.tar.bz2 says July 2011, which is better. I only recently learned about this second one, and the wiki page for the error checker still says that the files come from Hypercube and that they need new hosting. What should the wiki say to reflect the newer-more-up-to-date data source?

At least they're documented in the Mapnik page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#World_boundaries

But seeing as there are often multiple places where a single fact is
documented in the wiki, it doesn't surprise me that older references
linger. :)

The de facto source of relative current coastline shapefiles for the
past year or two is tile.openstreetmap.org, and you could update
references to hypercube to point there.

>> The coastline error checker slippy, however, is a bit under the weather.
> What is the coastline error slippy?

The slippy map. The map you (used to) see when you go to
http://coastline.openstreetmap.nl/

--
Lennard