[OSM-talk] Overpass API: new version 0.6.93, a collection of bugfixes

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Fri Oct 7 21:42:58 BST 2011

Dear all,

Overpass API goes a huge step forward for more stability. Or, to avoid
corporate speech, fixing a couple of bugs kept me busy the last five weeks :)
All known bugs are fixed at the moment, so I hope, I can develop the features
in the next weeks. First of all, thanks to all that have sent bug reports.

In particular, two deeper bugs which could potentially affect the database
content have been fixed. A further, shallow but annoying bug, the forgotten
escaping of user names, has also been fixed. You can find the full list of
fixed bugs on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM3S/versions#Overpass_API_v0.6.94

As a first visible step of the feature progress towards version 0.7, the query
statement can now have almost any combination of substatements.

A further detailed planning showed that there is still a long way to version
0.7. Planned features are:
- A more concise query language, as terse as XAPI, but as flexible as the
  native Overpass API language.
- Some useful extensions, in detail it will support:
  -- getting transitively all referred elements of one or more relations
  -- selecting all but one value for a given key in a query
  -- enabling around, bbox and area to handle way and relation geometries
I don't make promises on the release date this time, but I plan to release a
version every four to six weeks, with version numbers indication whether the
progress is small or large. So a 0.6.95 or 0.7 may appear next month,
depending on whether all features have been implemented.

Best regards,

Roland