[OSM-talk] Mechanism for reporting vandalism

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:05:16 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM, Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has there been a discussion on how this problem can be addressed and what
> the solution is?

There's not one single solution.

The general problem is that "vandalism" is not the main problem. Most
of the problems are usually caused by people who do something by
accident. Or they don't realize this is a real database of a real map.

A suggestion several people have had for this is to attach comments to
changesets. That way people could discuss them. I had a tiny amount of
non-functional code for this, and I think Frederik was working on it.

Another solution, not to vandalism, but other issues where users
aren't aware they're working on a live DB
might be that the first time they edit, in PL2, it could maybe pop
something up saying "You're working on the live OSM database. This is
not a test. Please be careful."

But the ultimate answer is what many of us already do- use the History
function on the main page, and use the OWL functions, to watch for
edits, review them, and then report them as necessary.

- Serge