[OSM-talk] Google: pay for map and API

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 00:06:00 GMT 2011

Hi

I was alerted by a large national search company telling me that they
are using G* Maps but now they are glad to know that there exists OSM
as an alternative (to what has tbd.).

And there are also blogs saying that smaller developers will be hit
too, especially when their innovative website becomes more well-known:
See this article:
http://www.netmagazine.com/news/devs-respond-google-maps-api-limits-111510

So my thought was too to make a press release - but without bashing G*
and without referring to the restrictions (see e.g. here
http://code.google.com/intl/uk-UK/apis/maps/faq.html#tos_pricing ). I
would rather remind that OSM is "free" (under the license terms) and
that the OSM data and tools are there to be used in own websites.

Yours, S.