[OSM-talk] Roundabouts and routing

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 10:38:46 BST 2011

Jonathan Waller wrote:
> With regards to solution 1) I have never noticed a sliproad onto a roundabout
> tagged as junction=roundabout (UK East Midlands).  Where is this common
> practice?  If this is not too widely used then it might be worth retagging, but
> I don't know how easy it would be to automatically detect these.

Certainly the roundabouts near here all have islands in the middle of the
approach, so these need to be mapped, if only for the pedestrian route around
them. They are all tagged as part of the approach road, but obviously have the
correct direction arrows ... which they need!

I think the main problem here is not so much anything to do with OSM, but how
the portable devices work. TomTom has this very annoying habit of announcing
some silly side road or even layby as a junction then totally ignoring the
merges with a motorway a mile or so later. It is the interpretation of the data
that is the problem, not the data itself, and if anything that needs to be
handled in the conversion process to the device not on the raw map? Bodging the
data so that the device does what you want ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL