[OSM-talk] Barriers of Entry

Mike N niceman at att.net
Wed Sep 14 11:59:20 BST 2011

   There's no difference between someone who goes through the
traditional signup process and messes up the data VS someone coming in
via a Facebook login or the "Friendly page" and messes up the data.
It's only a question of scale - do we pick up enough quality users from
convenient logins to make it worth the trouble?  Perhaps barriers are
good for regions that are already saturated with mappers.

On 9/14/2011 4:02 AM, Peter Wendorff wrote:
> I agree, that full-feature-editors (comparable e.g. with JOSM) are not
> possible to use without skills (or they are dangerous to harm the
> database because of users not knowing what they do).
> But an "address completion editor", where it's easy to fill in post
> codes, streetnames and housenumbers could be useful - easy to use and
> less error prone.

+1
  Customized editors such as the Skobbler "Address Game" can solicit
input from those would not otherwise be interested in learning all the
details.

  Similarly, a "one-way street editor" which allows anyone to verify and
correct all the one-way streets that they know about would be a
candidate for mass participation.