[OSM-talk] Barriers of Entry

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:41:50 BST 2011

Hi,

On 14.09.2011 09:24, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Barriers of entry are good if they accurately reflect the demands that
> lie further down the road. A barrier that prohibits 3m wide vehicles
> from entering a tunnel that will narrow down to less than 3m in the
> middle is not an arbitrary restriction that should be torn down but
> something that helps everyone.

Weird picture. Vehicles have fixed widths, whereas OSM users have the
ability to learn and to adopt to the demands that come up during the
process.

> For OpenStreetMap, we don't gain anything from making it look like
> participating in OSM was the easiest thing in the world. You have to
> possess some skills,

--> you have to have the willingness to acquire some skills. The current
situation seems to be that only those highly ambitious and tireless
people have a chance to become involved persistently. I think lower
entry barriers could attract some very good people that would now turn
away from the project after three hours of effortless fiddling and
digging around.

cheers
ant