[OSM-talk] satellite Imagery missing

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:35:32 BST 2011

2011/9/21 kenneth gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com>:
> it is dead easy - just point it at the target and click - it gives the
> distance. At over 150 metres, a tripod helps, unless you have very
> steady hands. It is useful for getting the exact dimensions of buildings
> or golf greens. These can then be plotted in josm using the measurement
> tool.

AFAIK the JOSM measurement tool does not provide very exact
measurements but is a bearable approximation. Not sure if this matters
to you, but I guess you shouldn't rely too much on the displayed
values. See for instance:
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/4849

You should also be careful not to select nodes as well:
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/6872

cheers,
Martin

PS: Maybe the first issue has to do with projections and the way these
calculations are done (flat vs. elliptical), and it may well be that
the differences are not significant, dependant on where you measure
and how long the distances are.