[OSM-talk] satellite Imagery missing

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 26 21:16:32 BST 2011

On 21 September 2011 14:18, John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> And I'd be worried about "being brought to the attention of the
> authorities" for being seen pointing lasers at infrastructural things
> such as electricity pylons --- do people tend to complain about having
> their buildings etc visibly surveyed?  (I'm a newbie at all this, my
> only experience of potential problems has been that I could see that
> people were wondering what I was doing when I was walking around
> writing down house numbers.)  Or does a hi-vis jacket make it all
> alright ;-) ?
>
> __John

When I'm specifically out mapping, or cycling (so it's a safety thing too),
I often wear this OSM high-vis jacket.
http://shop.opencyclemap.org/products/openstreetmap-surveyors-jacket
Wearing it has mixed results but definitely a difference with people think
I'm official (or from Google). I get less people questioning what I'm doing,
more people asking me for directions or to fix/report something. In rougher
residential areas people are more defensive to the high-vis, they think I'm
from the council or something.

But it's nice to be asked what I'm doing with interest. You soon learn key
words that are good to mention, I like to make sure I get in "volunteer",
"hobby", and "more detailed & more uses than google". This is made easier by
kindly offering them a leaflet so they can go away and read about it or look
at the map I've made.
http://shop.opencyclemap.org/products/openstreetmap-promotional-leaflets (free
to UK addresses)

--