[OSM-talk] Komuna e Malishevs, Serbia ?

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 1 11:04:53 BST 2012

We have rules for osm, they are clear. it is the on the ground rule.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule
 On the Ground Rule

If the dispute can not be resolved through discussion, then the simple
default rule is that whatever name, designation, etc are used by the people
on the ground at that location are used in the non-localized tags. So in
the case of North Cyprus, this would be the Turkish names. The specific
rules are documented at
WikiProject_Cyprus#Disputed_place_names<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Cyprus#Disputed_place_names>
.

In the case where there are multiple local names, then if the government
with effective and sustained control of the area has an official source of
names or an official stance on a naming dispute, then that name is default.
For instance, Derry-Londonderry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derry-Londonderry_name_dispute>
.

When there is no clear sustained control of an area, such as
Kosovo<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Kosovo>,
special consideration will be needed on a case by case basis. (Kosovo now
has independent government, recognised by many other countries, so this is
now less relevant.)

OpenStreetMap is not a forum for politics, but a means for understanding.
Disputes are not to be carried out in the map, but in discussion. Any
editor who does not abide by this, and does not respect agreements in the
area, or ultimately the "on the ground" rule, risks losing the right to
participate in OpenStreetMap. Contact one of the mediators above if you see
this kind of behavior.

2012/4/1 Павел Фомин <pavelfmn at yandex.ru>

> 01.04.2012, 12:16, "Mike Dupont" <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>:
>
> I think we agreed here on the "on the ground rule", kosovo is on the
> ground the republic of kosovo and not serbia.
> [...]
> belgrad is not in fact control of kosovo, kosovo is its own country.
>

> Arrrgh. We should have rules on mapping disputed areas and partially
> recognised countries. Is OSM showing the internationally accepted situation
> or is it taking into account every single front line?

James Michael DuPont