[OSM-talk] Transcription and 'internationalization' in place names

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 13:58:10 BST 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:40:40 Joseph Reeves wrote:
>  >We should really not follow the approach of making the map at
>
> www.openstreetmap.org perfect but instead the data >behind it because
> that's where we're better than Google and Co.
>
> Agreed, but if we improve the rendering at osm.org, we should be able to
> highlight the issue that some users are filling the database with nonsense
> names. At the same time, the people that want to see "name= (name:en=)" on
> their osm.org tiles will be able to.
>
> Once the rendering is tweaked to give the results people want, the data
> would be presumably cleaned up quite quickly.

Absolutely!  And I think that this particular issue could be cleaned up
automatically by a 'bot, with an exception report sent to the
country-specific talk mailing list for anything that needs to be handled
manually.

The reason that Japan and Korea have bilingual labels is because mappers want
it that way.  Since Mapnik did not provide it, they did it themselves.  Now
newer software is capable of doing automatically, so we should revisit the
issue.

Should I simply open a ticket on Mapnik's issue tracker, to request that in
Korea, labels be rendered as "name:ko (name:en)"?

On a related note, and using Claudius's example:

name=서울특별시
name:el=Σεούλ
name:en=Seoul
name:ko_rm=Seoulteukbyeolsi
name:ru=Сеул

Should we add name:ko=서울특별시?

Otherwise, how do we know the Korean name for this city?

Best wishes,

Andrew